Tashichhodzong, or the Thimphu Dzong, is a Buddhist monastery and fortress located on the northern edge of the capital city of Thimphu, along the western banks of the Wang Chu river. The fortress has been the seat of the "Druk Desi", or the Head of Bhutan's civil government since 1952, and also serves as an office for many of the government's ministries. The fortress is located adjacent to the Dechencholing Palace, the Palace housing the Royal Family of Bhutan.
Originally built in 1216 by Lama Gyalwa Lhanangpa, the fortress has been destroyed twice, once by a fire in 1771, and again in 1897 by an earthquake, and has been rebuilt and expanded multiple times over the course of its 800 years of history.
During the Thimphu Tsechu, held each year in the month of September or October, the fortress also hosts many of the festival's cultural events and programs, attracting hundreds of tourists and thousands of local Bhutanese, who enjoy the myriad spectacles, and awe-inspiring Chham dances performed by special monks.
|Distance from the hotel
|Commute Time from the hotel||:||12 minutes by car|
|Best Months to Visit||:||Year Round, but specifically during the Thimphu Tsechu, held in the month of September or October|